End of the cycle
October 03, 2018
It feels like the end of the chapter in Silicon Valley.
A few new things have become hits, e.g. dockless scooters. But I can't help noticing all the "end of an era"-type M&A that's going on. The effect is particularly strong in social networking; we're collectively coming to terms with the fact that, though embroiled in controversy, facebook has no credible challenger. They've won.
- Kleiner Perkins is splitting in half
- Airware: $118 million raised, closing their doors
- Path is donezo
- Never-ending controversy finally did Theranos in
- uBeam's CEO has stepped down
- Social Capital is melting down
- Pandora finally gave up trying to be a standalone company, and sold to Sirius
- Apple acquired Shazam
- Snap isn't sure whether they'll survive
- Big shake-ups at facebook: the Instagram founders left, Brian Acton of WhatsApp left, their CISO bailed, and then there's the Cambridge Analytica thing